[Freedombox-discuss] Virtualbox stuff

Paige Thompson erratic at devel.ws
Sat Nov 10 23:24:28 UTC 2012

Hey another thing I've been working on recently is making my own Linux distro. It does have a package manger other than scripts that do git clone and runs build commands whereever applicable and it starts out as a toolchain (linux from scratch.) I feel that features like dependency resolution   and binary packages more often than not just get in the way of whatever im trying to accomplish and itll be easier to just host the scripts to build my distro on github along with anything else that might be appropriate and keep track of it that way while people who want to can fork it, call it theirs and send me pull requests, if they want to and i can choose whether or not to accept them.

https://github.com/paigeadele/erraticOS

I have a design ideas in mind:

- i want multiple /usr/local directories.. and for anything not part of the base userland to only be installed in those directories... like freebsd

- i want to use the runit supervisor instead of sysvinit. It also supports starting service definitions in additional directories instead of just one so i wont need to make separate runlevels for each additional /usr/local directory.

- A cron is kinda up in the air. I use cron a lot and its kinda esoteric compared to some things like rundeck and jenkins. The tradeoff would be deciding whether or not i want java in my base userland. I dont especially care about the licensing stuff its just so... ewwww. I always end up installing it anyway so i probably will add it and if anybody doesn't like it they can remove it from their build scripts in their fork.

- i plan to make all of my buildscripts by default "recipe-like" for example if i want a webserver id have a script that git cloned nginx or apache-latest and php-5.4 release .. ect ect really kind of subjective choices but if you think about it... not really because people can make their own based on mind or send me a pull request and i can choose whether or not its something i want.

- python and virtenv and ruby and rvm. Theres no excuse for virtenv and rvm to not be default..  who do you know that uses these languages that hasn't ran into versioning problems with packages or doesn't have like 3 different versions of python installed?

- im going to try to use the ubuntu partitioner, gentoo's genkernel, and i want to try to make the os self packaging for building a livecd with an installer from itself. Planning on using some tintin++ to make the installer scripts. Tintin seems like the best choice considering the alternative is c/readline, gtk, or some lang+ncurses. Tintin is super easy, but its also really simple.

-I'm trying not to make a big abstract mess of bash build scripts that source a million different files from here and there ... i want each script to be as self sustaining as possible.

I remember hearing you guys have been having some hangups about the base os for freedom box... i can tell you this... lfs while it may seem like its an attractive idea is very difficult to build a toolchain for if you don't know what you're doing. Fortunately if you're interested I'm already going through the trouble of figuring it out myself. I could answer some questions too if you decided to write your own build script for the toolchain or chose to use mine, its located in the /usr/src directory of the repo.