[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox and Bitcoin (and the petition)

Natanael Arndt arndtn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 12:15:53 UTC 2012

Am 12.11.2012 12:43, schrieb Eugen Leitl:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:01:31PM +0100, Natanael Arndt wrote:
>> I don't know why BitCoin or Money in general should be somehow
>> integrated in the FreedomBox project? Furthermore I think BitCoin is no
>> good concept e.g. because of the huge amount of electricity just burned
> You don't need to mint in order to do BTC transfers.
>
>> to get some virtual money, as the "lottery" comparison says.
> The full BitCoin client runs fine on my Nexus 7. I see no
> reason why a lean client wouldn't run on low-end systems.
I don't say it is impossible to run a BitCoin client on a FreedomBox but
I say the systembehind is not good, because it rewards people for
burning electricity to get the virtual currency, that's not better than
mining gold by using bad chemicals to extract the gold.

And furthermore there are some economic problems with such a currency.
>> But I like the idea of Melvin to have a kind of exchange currency which
>> is backed by resources (CPU time, Space, ...) which can really help
>> other people instead of being wasted. There are enough real (not sha1
>> hashing) problems to be done.
> You're trying to reinvent a square wheel. Just use BTC.
I think a project like FreedomBox should better motivate people to help
each other by sharing resources rather than supporting a system where
people are increasing there computing power to be the one who gets the $.

An why is this weal square and which one is round?
>> By the whay: that is,what I first thought BitCoin would be when I heard
>> of it ;-)
> If you're trying to maximize the utility of FBX, you need
> to put on it what people are actually using. Not what you
> think they *should* be using, and what doesn't even exist
> yet.
Are people using BitCoins? Are people using pear to pear communication?

We are trying to make something new and better!

Nate