[Freedombox-discuss] Email Encryption Basics

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 21:01:58 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

First sentence from the front page of freedomboxfoundation.org:
"We're building software for smart devices whose engineered purpose
      	is to work together to
		facilitate free communication among people, safely and securely,
		beyond the ambition of the strongest power to penetrate."

And the big red letters above that:
"Enabling private conversations online"

I believe Eben Moglen described it as something like, "Plug freedom in, turn freedom on."  A phrase like "privacy
appliance" is compatible with these descriptions; a phrase like "send plaintext emails from home-- offer varies based
on ISP details" isn't.

I'd still be happy to buy a FBX and sent plaintext emails from home in the initial stages of its development,
but in terms of mental models for the "enabling private conversations online" that ain't one of them.

-Jonathan