[Freedombox-discuss] who wants the new look to go online?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Oct 2 13:17:48 UTC 2012

On 12-10-02 at 12:20pm, Craig Barnes wrote:
> On 2 October 2012 09:18, Robert Martinez <mail at mray.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 02/10/12 01:19, Craig Barnes wrote:
> >> According to the notes Sean has made, the ikiwiki template should
> >> be close to ready.

I noticed that too.  But is Sean a website admin?  Else his judgement
may be just as speculative as what we've thrown around in this thread.

> >> I am getting myself familiarised with ikiwiki, and will try to
> >> apply the template to a new wiki instance.

Sounds nice.  Experience with Ikiwiki obviously comes in handy also in
separate discussions on how to offer Ikiwiki as a FreedomBox service.

> >> Looking at Jonas' previous post regarding concerns of changes to
> >> the page.tmpl file.  What are the concerns with using a modified
> >> page.tmpl?
> >

> > I don't know. Besides possible issues with updates to the wiki there
> > is nothing I'm aware of.

Yes, that is exactly the kind of concern I have: Forking parts of a tool
inherently creates a burden of keeping that fork in sync with the tool.

That's partly the reason for my convoluted setup with git submodules (if
you've looked at the source for my website).

> >> Are there any of the current live templates / sources available?
> >

> > I have no Idea. I know close to nothing what is currently running
> > the page. We need that information from a (or "the") web admin.

Agreed. They don't advertise a git for the website - not even at the
hidden https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/recentchanges/

> >> Are any customisations / plugins in use?
> >

> > My guess would be no. Since the wiki isn't exactly "feature rich" in
> > its current form on the homepage i guess the only plugin we'll need
> > is the theming plugin (if i understand it right you need that to be
> > able to use themes)

The theme plugin also is needed only if admins and/or designers consider
it relevant to maintain the design as a reusable "middleware", separate
from both website and Ikiwiki engine.

> > There may be customisations concerning display of contents:
> > the "read more" button and the news archives area don't appear in the
> > current theme in that form.

There is an Ikiwiki plugin for "read more" functionality.

...but I really have little interest in second-guessing how others use
Ikiwiki: As long as they are silent we are wasting our time trying to
optimize design for their needs, because we plain simple don't know what
is their needs.

I suggest put on hold designing for the Foundation website, and if
interested in working on webdesign then sidestep and try make one or
more sample themes usable for our _users_ of FreedomBox.