[Freedombox-discuss] Privacy Prices

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 17:54:35 UTC 2012

On 14 October 2012 19:07, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jonathan Wilkes writes:
> > From: Nick Daly
> >> one of the most annoying parts about all this is how poorly Facebook
> >> monetizes data.  My privacy is worth more than ~$15/year
> >
> > I think that's missing the point; even if Facebook were handing 10
> > crisp $100 bills to every one of its users each year, the problem of
> > everyone having created an enormous market for current and potential
> > abuse is still there.
>
> Right.  I was using a hint of dry sarcasm to point out how a system
> based on literally selling out its users cannot be socially or morally
> responsible toward those users.

Businesses are deeply compromised between serving their own interests and
serving users interests.

I think most businesses in web 2.0 try to build in a degree of lock in,
whether it's through centralized website, a centrally controlled protocol,
network economics, patents, selling data etc. the user will eventually feel
the consequences.

I think by sticking to royalty free specs at the w3c and ietf, and using
free software, with one other part data freedom, we have the potential to
build much more, without gatekeepers.  The disadvantage is that because we
will never exploit our users, we lack capital an rely on volunteers.  But
maybe that will make it all the more satisfying when things get built ...