[Freedombox-discuss] virtualbox image

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 02:00:45 UTC 2012

Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> writes:

> I was suspicious about this direction, but I tried it anyway to confirm
> it would fail.  It did indeed.  My box has chosen a public address for itself
> and obviously typing a public address in the host machine browser is
> going to take off to the internet to find that address.
>
> Was I supposed to change a network setting in virtualbox?  I followed the
> directions on the wiki.

Did you skip this step?

>> 1. Get your IP Address:
>>
>>      [ log in as the root user, with password "freedom" ]
>>      # ifconfig
>>
>>    That'll tell you your box's IP address.  You'll need that later.

If you've done so, I've forgotten what the default settings are in
VirtualBox's configuration.  Try setting your VM's "Network" settings
like this:

    Adapter 1

    [X] Enable Network Adapter

        Attached to: Bridged Adapter
        Name: (your ethernet interface)

If you're using Debian and connected by wireless, it's probably eth1, if
you're wired, it's probably eth0.  Make sure to restart the VM after
changing that setting.

If you're unsure which interface you're using, try running the following
as root.  The ones that are "UP" are the ones that are currently active:

    # ifconfig | egrep "(encap|UP)"

Nick