[Freedombox-discuss] Initial comment on UI

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:22:32 UTC 2012

On 25 October 2012 08:56, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now that I've gotten the basic FBX set up right (thanks Nick), I'd like to
> make a quick comment on a UI metaphor:
>

> Whether or not it's reflected in the actual design, I think the most
> important metaphor for the UI is a vault[1].  Whether the owner is
> configuring it to store data-- in which case its a bank vault-- or to
> primarily send data-- in which case it's an armored van-- the underlying
> concept is the same.

Really like this idea.

In fact, in today's world about 97% of money is just a number on a
computer.  So a bank vault can often just be a data store.

As an aside, I believe the web is going to transition the monetary system
to something more decentralized over the next decade.  The the metaphor
could actually gain an element of truth, if freedomboxes start to create an
economy (eg for hosting, backups, compute time, wireless mesh etc.)