[Freedombox-discuss] Introducing the MK802 FreedomStick

timur.mehrvarz at riseup.net timur.mehrvarz at riseup.net
Sun Sep 9 23:42:45 UTC 2012

On 09/08/2012 11:04 PM, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
>> Is it possible to flash Debian/Ubuntu into NAND also?
> Yes, but remember that all A10 boot-loaders and kernels are
> experimental. If you write the boot configuration to NAND and it (or the
> boot-loader) has errors, you end up with a bricked device. De-bricking
> is possible, but only from Windows at the moment.
>
> a10linux.org has a multi-boot u-boot version:
>
> http://forum.a10linux.org/read.php?5,42
>
> De-bricking:
>
> http://liliputing.com/2012/06/how-to-re-install-mk802-firmware.html

Thanks! Some more Q's:

What could be the reason for the MK802's poor WiFi performance (770
KB/s)? If it is the 1Ghz CPU's fault, then there is something seriously
wrong with the A10/Cortex8, no?

I'm asking because I still think an OpenWRT + "Freedombox services"
combo (or a Freedombox with WiFi Access Point functionality) would be a
really nice setup. This would probably be the most convenient
installation for lot's of people. It would also make it so much easier
to deliver adjusted firewall settings to people who aren't able (or
willing) to set them up for them selfs.

You mentioned the Cubieboard. It comes with Ethernet but with no WiFi.
Would it be possible to use a USB WiFi "stick" to implement an AP? But
one with true AP-like performance, forwarding at least, 5 to 10 MB/s?

Timur