[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox VoIP/IM/Comms (SIP and Jabber), Jingle Nodes, SIP RELOAD

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Sep 19 14:22:20 UTC 2012

On 19/09/12 14:32, Ramana Kumar wrote:
> This page might be mildly relevant:
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Skype_Replacement

I heard about FSF Europe running a Skype Replacement event on the
weekend, testing the different clients against each other.  Their goal
is very general, moving people from closed source to Free software

FreedomBox has an additional goal: privacy.  This limits some of the
options (or requires each option to be scrutinised more carefully).

Nonetheless, FreedomBox should work with some of the other solutions.
 It may be very generous and accept any TLS connection, or it may be
more severe and require all signaling to go over TOR, for example.  I
plan to document the privacy issues more thoroughly to help decide on
these strategies.

> And I would be interested to know in how the FreedomBox VOIP tools
> compare to using WebRTC, and whether the latter might/should be
> supported on FBX.

WebRTC is for browser-based audio/video.  FreedomBox could potentially
provide a web server with such a page for users on the local LAN to
use.  The browser would then be just another type of client.

Do you want to add these links into the wiki page?