[Freedombox-discuss] [ZS] ZS reboot seed

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 01:13:46 UTC 2012

Nick Hardiman <nick at planetlarg.net> writes:

> I am sorry I missed the start of this conversation because the mail below -
> * http://zerostate.net
> * smallest federated wiki, fossil
> * XMPP
> * litter, torchat
> * YaCy
> - etc. is superb.

Disclaimer: I need to take another look at Fossil.  It hadn't realized
    it was Git compatible, so I hadn't used it.  Since Git exports to
    everything else and everything else also imports Git, it's
    universally compatible, after a few transformations.

If you're looking for a very simple to setup, lightweight, project
hosting system for a personal server, then you should check out my
Project Publish tool.  It's the simplest repository publishing platform
I could come up with (where simplest means easiest to understand and
fewest lines of code).  It's essentially a makefile that exports files
to HTML, to be served as static web pages, with a little glue for making
index pages.  This lets you keep your issues, your wiki, your (whatever)
in the repository itself, making it really easy to host and share.

*Don't use it on anything that's not a personal system: it's not
architectured for industrial scale deployment.*  I'm sure this is way
below Zero State's scale needs, but I'm happy with it for my project on
my personal site.

It works by recompiling all the text files you identify into HTML files,
every 5 minutes, when they've changed.  It even boxes the entire
repository into an archive that is then served from the repository's
root.  It's simple, stupid, and ugly, but it gets the job done and is as
easy to deploy as I could make it.  Since it takes no input, it's not
much of a threat to any system.

You can see it in action here:

    betweennowhere.net/code/freedombuddy

You can download it, too: