[Freedombox-discuss] Friendica Red

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 02:08:51 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

That is false.  It is not prohibitively expensive.

https://www.eff.org/nsa/faq

On a different note:
I'm quite pessimistic about the value of any Facebook alternative that doesn't come
standard with user-friendly data-mining utilities.  After all, those utilities are the whole
purpose of the software in the first place-- they are the very reason the UI and
network are designed to encourage users to leak certain types of data to the network
and inform on-- um, I mean "tag"-- their friends.  Any alternative that uses a similar
UI to Facebook without supplying the data-mining tools is naive at best.  After all,
how can users judge the efficacy of the system's privacy features if they don't even
know what kind of inferences can be made with that (meta)data?

-Jonathan