[Freedombox-discuss] startup 'Nebula' releases personal cloud device

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 10:07:30 UTC 2013

On 3 April 2013 10:43, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:03:19PM +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
> > mining one bitcoin and the freedombox hardware is free :)
>
> You've not been keeping up to date: GPGPU clients are below
> energy costs and even ASIC mining rigs are iffy on ROI.

An ASIC should be OK, if you can get one.  GPU / FGPA will generate more
than the electricity but will unlikely pay or the hardware.

But you are thinking about a bitcoin only paradigm.

There is room for the coinspace to be 100 or 1000 times bigger.  If GNU had
started a coin 1-2 years ago I think all the major mining pools would have
merge mined it, making it more attack resilient.  They are generally good
folks.

If FBX could come up with a creative hack to make useful distributed coin
system, you could lower hardware costs.

I'm convinced you could lower hardware and shipping costs to zero, as the
network grows.