[Freedombox-discuss] what is a useful MOTD?

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 02:34:35 UTC 2013

Nick Hardiman writes:

> I want to execute a script so IF details are displayed. Where do you
> want a call placed? Bashrc? Init.d/99hello?

I completely misread this sentence the first time.  I think calling out
to it from .bashrc is a good plan.  As details change over time, users
have a chance of seeing the changes.  Not that we'll necessarily have
users logging in by a text-console very frequently, so you should
probably keep it as a separate script that we can call out to in .bashrc
and /etc/skel, and so we can weave it into Plinth and friends.

> I can put the script in GitHub - does that help?

Yeah, that'd be really useful.

Nick