[Freedombox-discuss] Router/DSL modem, Utilite

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Aug 11 20:05:13 UTC 2013

Quoting ST (2013-08-11 17:35:59)
> 1. Does Freedombox aims to provide router/DSL-modem/WiFi-AccessPoint
> functionality to plug computers?

Not ruled out, but also not implemented by anyone yet, as far as I know.

You are quite welcome to propose some implementation of such
functionality.  It does not even require any specific hardware to work
on that: Just install a fresh minimal (i.e. no desktop or other install
profile) Debian system on any computer containing relevant hardware
(dual ethernet, wifi etc.), customize it, and share your choice of
package installs and changes to configuration files.

> 2. Do you plan to support this computer:
>
> http://utilite-computer.com/web/utilite-models ?
>
> Looks much more powerful and cheaper than DreamPlug.

Several devices are cheaper an more powerful nowadays:
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware

What you reference is only "MSRP" which I guess is "Manufacturer's
suggested retail price".  Makes sense to consider only when actually
available for sale!

Generally computers need to work with Debian, and preferrably they
should use Open Hardware.