[Freedombox-discuss] Router/DSL modem, Utilite

Jack Wilborn jkwilborn at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 21:36:09 UTC 2013

I also have been keeping an eye on hardware.  I am surprised that very few
have stated, yea or nea to the suggested Minnow board.  I was curious
myself, which has an open hardware architecture, an Intel Atom processor
with a single 5 volt supply.  Most platforms we have looked at do not
operate well without an air conditioned environment, so savings made on a
piece of hardware go out the window (so to speak) if we add that it has to
be run with some kind of air conditioning, being heated or cooled.

The Minnow out of the box has a freezing (32 F) to hot (212 F) standard and
can be made with an environment that far exceeds what we have now and can
run under the hood of a car in any weather.

Seems like these combinations are what is called for.  Is not this more in
the lines?  It should boot Debian out of the box, although I know of no one
that has tried, but it's a PC architecture.

It is 199 bucks...

IMHO, it needs a closer look...

Jack