[Freedombox-discuss] Debian plan to drop support for Raspberry Pi and Dreamplug?

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Wed Dec 4 18:09:42 UTC 2013

Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> writes:

> Dreamplug uses kernel flavor kirkwood.

Correct.

> I don't know which kernel flavor Raspberry Pi uses - if any flavor
> supported by Debian at all.

Supposedly it can run one of the currently-stock Debian armel kernels,
but it won't make best use of the floating point hardware.

> Do anyone actually use Debian (instead of the unofficial fork optimized
> for ARMv6) for Raspberry Pi?

I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to soon.

  https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi

I've also seen quite a bit of discussion at various times about what it
would take to properly support Raspberry Pi in Debian.  The persistent
need for a binary blob to boot seems problematic to me, but it's likely
something that could be finessed in the installer similarly to how we
currently handle user-supplied binary driver modules?

Bdale