[Freedombox-discuss] LDAP

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 02:27:26 UTC 2013

Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> writes:

> Which applications do you have in mind which stores their data in LDAP?
> Or do you envision (even more!) applications written from scratch
> specific for FreedomBox?

I was imagining using LDAP as the ACL for application data, not as a
data store itself, though I suppose it could be used that way, sorry if
I was unclear.  I really don't want more things from scratch.  I want
glue.  Were webmin packaged (or if someone would suggest similar already
packaged administration tools), this'd be easier.

> Here's a list of auth plugins: https://ikiwiki.info/plugins/type/auth/
>
> I have not played with it myself, but believe you should be able to use
> either httpauth plugin + libapache module or unixauth + PAM module.

Thanks, I missed httpauth earlier.  I saw unixauth, saw that it seemed
like it'd do the trick, and then realized that it wasn't packaged in
Debian, or even in ikiwiki.

Seems like httpauth and mod_authnz_ldap [0] could do the trick.  I
should be able to bang out a simple authentication PoC quickly.  I'll
put that on the TODO list, though anyone with the time is welcome to
beat me to it or point to an existing example/tutorial.

Thanks,
Nick

0: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authnz_ldap.html