[Freedombox-discuss] Unencrypted passwords

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:16:00 UTC 2013

(from Slashdot) A claim that various distros store wifi passwords
unencrypted. Does this affect us?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/All-Linux-Distributions-Store-Wi-Fi-Passwords-in-Plain-Text-If-You-Don-t-Use-Encryption-412387.shtml

There are a bunch of complications; see original article & Slashdot comments.

My own bias is fairly strongly against using things like Network
Manager or Avahi that take control away from the administrator -- on
my own systems I don't even use inted(8). However, that tendency
obviously conflicts with the desire to make the Box easy to manage.