[Freedombox-discuss] jails in Debian?

Joost van Baal-Ilić joostvb-freedombox at mdcc.cx
Mon Feb 4 13:22:10 UTC 2013

Hoi Rob,

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 11:32 +0100, Johan Henselmans wrote:
> > i had a short discussion the Bdale about jails in Debian, like there exist in FreeBSD: lightweight jails, having their own TCP/IP stack, which could compartimentalize a server.
> >
> > He mentioned that there are similar solutions in Debian, but did not mention any kind of software. I don't think he meant chroot environments, but I might be mistaken.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to that type of software in Debian?

<snip>

> Unfortunately LXC on Debian does not work out-of-the-box. This has to do
> with the way Debian manages its releases. Releases are stable, and if a
> package is broken at the time of freeze, or gets broken after the
> release, it stays broken. LXC on Squeeze creates Lenny containers, but
> the Lenny repositories are not available anymore. LXC on Wheezy was
> frozen at the time the Debian LXC package itself was broken. Its very
> unfortunate that LXC on Wheezy is broken because its maintainer has
> clearly put a *lot* of effort in the package and now *normal* Debian
> users cannot enjoy this great technology for years to come.

Is the issue you're talking about reported as a bug in the Debian BTS?  I've
just checked http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=lxc;dist=unstable
but couldn't find anything which matches.

Groeten,

Joost

--
there's a TON of people who breath air, but that doesn't mean
they're qualified professionals when it comes to wind-powered