[Freedombox-discuss] This white space spectrum chip might be interesting

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Feb 14 11:31:17 UTC 2013

Quoting Johan Henselmans (2013-02-14 11:55:50)
> http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2243662/white-space-spectrum-chip-approved-for-m2m-use
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/13/weightless_neul/

Looks exciting with this alternative to Wi-Fi.

On the other hand, it looks not so exciting that using it requires being
it touch with an (assumed centrally controlled) database of available
frequencies.

> If this could somehow be incorporated in the Novena freedom box that
> Bdale is trying to whip up…

As I understand it, a radio device complicates international shipping:
The device needs to be documented that it comply with radio regulations
in the target country.

From a brief reading I saw mentioned (although maybe outdated) that only
in the US is the allocated frequencies for White Space approved for
ad-hoc use.  In some parts of the World those frequencies may still
require a TV broadcast license to use, which would render a Novena board
illegal to import into those countries if a White Space radio was
soldered onto it or even just attached as part of a bundle package.