[Freedombox-discuss] Freedom-maker build questions

dww dworthem at msn.com
Mon Feb 18 13:18:13 UTC 2013

> My first guess (wild speculation) is the uImage isn't where you expect
> it to be (usb 2). For instance, maybe it's in /boot/uImage instead
> of /uImage.

The boot problem was caused by the variables:

	x_bootcmd_kernel fatload usb 2 0x6400000 uImage
	x_bootcmd_initrd fatload usb 2 0x6900000 uInitrd

needed to be

	x_bootcmd_kernel fatload usb 0 0x6400000 uImage
	x_bootcmd_initrd fatload usb 0 0x6900000 uInitrd

On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 10:46 +0000, Nick Hardiman wrote:

> Just wondering -
> Why do we still use fatload on new Dreamplugs? The SolidRun CuBox
> people use ext2load
> (http://www.solid-run.com/mw/index.php/Setup_USB_boot).Couldn't you
> have one great big ext2 partition then, instead of one little FAT
> partition and one ext2 partition

My understanding is that the fat boot partition was needed as a lowest
common denominator to support all devices and that there was no way to
detect which device you were on at start of U-Boot so one conditionally
use say ext2load or ext3load instead of fatload.  Nick Daly put out the
challenge to determine a way to do this.

Dennis