[Freedombox-discuss] chat over websockets

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jan 4 16:48:38 UTC 2013

Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2013-01-04 16:32:12)
> I came across this nice tutorial that shows you how to run chat over
> websockets
>
> [1]http://martinsikora.com/nodejs-and-websocket-simple-chat-tutorial
>
> I added this to my freedombox in about 30 minutes including installing
> nodejs, opening ports, adding WebID integration
>
> Presently, it's one big chat room, but I may add multiple channels,
> encryption, an nicer UI and other good stuff

Sounds quite interesting!

Sounds like next step would be to distill which Nodejs libraries are
missing in Debian unstable, and file RFP or ITP bugreports for them.

Hint: When reportbug asks you for eventual additional email address to
include into the bugreport, I suggest to include this email address:

Debian Javascript Maintainers <pkg-javascript-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>

That way (assuming you file an RFP bugreport) you raise awareness of
that bugreport among those generally interested in maintaining
Javascript projects for Debian.

Regards,

 - Jonas

Member of the javascript team, and eagerly awaiting suggestions for
libraries needed for semantic chat tools!