[Freedombox-discuss] Serval Mesh Extenders

macbroadcast marc at let.de
Fri Jul 12 10:00:40 UTC 2013

Am 11.07.2013 23:45, schrieb Paul Gardner-Stephen:
> Hi All,
>
> The idea is that it uses the UHF packet radio to mesh over greater
> distances than is possible with Wi-Fi, the trade-off being lower
> bandwidth.
>
> In general, we find that the UHF packet radio has a range of about 10x
> that of Wi-Fi when deployed indoors with omni-directional antennae.
>  This means it has a range of about a block in a suburban or urban
> setting compared with Wi-Fi's range of about one house or apartment.

Awsome progress Paul , i am following your progress for some time, what
you think about this " bug/ feature"
> However, some mesh proponents say Google is unnecessarily hampering
> their efforts because it does not support the device-to-device mode of
> Wi-Fi chips in its Android software (a complaint registered with
> Google as "Android bug #82
> <https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82>"). That means
> before a device can become an active part of a mesh network, a user
> must bypass Android's security controls, or "root" the device, by
> installing special software. Unrooted devices can use connectivity
> provided by a mesh network, but they can't help expand its coverage.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/516571/build-your-own-internet-with-mobile-mesh-networking/

Is it possible to run it  in a virualized enviroment ? i see debian and
openwrt directorys in there.

https://github.com/servalproject/serval-dna

***
<http://developer.servalproject.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=content:tech:meshms>*<http://developer.servalproject.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=content:tech:rhizome>**Rhizome