[Freedombox-discuss] [HacDC:Byzantium] Re: Serval Mesh Extenders

Jack Wilborn jkwilborn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 12:02:38 UTC 2013

Amateur radio has been using Packet UHF communications for decades, I used
it to communicate with the space shuttle many times during it's thousands
of orbits around the earth.  That should give you some idea about i's
range.  Although pretty much line of site, as it only bends slighty as the
earth curves.  It's dependable and part of that is the frequency not so
much the mode.  It also helps that we can use much more power and most of
us use beam antennas to reach out there as far as possible.

Most of this was 144 Mhz (2 meter band)...

That's something that the mesh people need to look at is the distribution
of the signal.  You can get antennas that will let you direct it to
different widths such as a 20 deg or 180 area, making the signal twice as
strong in 1/2 the direction available.  If you are on the outskirts you
direct most of your signal to where you have the majority of users.

IMHO

Jack