[Freedombox-discuss] secure UUIDs

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Jul 20 23:06:33 UTC 2013

Quoting Tim Retout (2013-07-21 00:25:16)
> On 20 Jul 2013 23:01, "Tim Retout" <[1]diocles at debian.org> wrote:
>> I'm sure you know this, but in case someone else doesn't: the
>> Data::UUID provided by Debian is actually libossd-uuid-perl
>
> Correction: libossp-uuid-perl.  And looking at the source, it does
> appear to use the real MAC of "eth0", if it exists.
>
> So it would be worth looking closer at Debian's Data::UUID when
> considering this issue.

Thanks for the analysis.

As mentioned in my previous reply I am working on getting the proper
CPAN Data::UUID in Debian, so would be great if you could similarly take
a look at that.

...and also non-Perl UUID generators (Perl modules are not currently in
use for FreedomBox specifically, but may be in the future, e.g. for
serving and/or processing semantic knowledge).