[Freedombox-discuss] Hard Drive on the Freedom Box?

Jack Wilborn jkwilborn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 00:39:42 UTC 2013

Hello,  I have found that I have better luck with real Hard Drives
compared to the serial version.  After a dumb move that required a
re-instal, I have built a HD that I can connect to the eSATA or USB
connection.

If anyone has done this please let me know what needed changes are
required.  Also, I am confused with the README in the freedom-maker
directory seems to indicate the mount point is freedom, where the
lines added to the fstab appear to indicate boot as the mount point.
The following is a copy from the document.

-----------------------

## Building on a USB Stick

Partition a USB stick to have a small FAT partition and large ext2 partition,
create a /media/freedom mount point, and add entries to /etc/fstab like:

    /dev/sdb1 /media/freedom/boot vfat user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sdb2 /media/freedom ext2 user,noauto 0 0

------------------------

I also have a problem with creating a FAT16 partition as it comes out
as the primary and after that you can't build an ext2 partition.  Or
I'm doing something wrong. So which is done first?  I'm hoping that I
will have better luck doing it this way as opposed to the USB stick.
Being a novice in Linux is not helpful, but I thought maybe someone
has put a hard disk on the FB as an easy and quick way to build and
test operation.

Hopefully someone has done this and has a quick and simple answer (ha
ha).  I've followed a few step by step procedures and have managed to
brick three 8 GB memory sticks.  Even Windows can't format them!

Thanks to all, especially Nick for the time and patience they have
dealing with newbies.

Jack