[Freedombox-discuss] /etc/init.d/first-run

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 02:43:35 UTC 2013

Nick Hardiman writes:

> The script didn't wget the WIFI firmware.  I had no network cables
> plugged in the first time [1] and second time I had no MAC addresses
> [2].  Presumably it ran flash-kernel [3] and it definitely deleted
> itself.

The wifi stuff should be moved into a Plinth module (that appears only
when the host system is a DreamPlug without Wifi).  I keep forgetting
about that MAC address stuff.  That's another issue I'm really not sure
about how to fix for downstream users.

> Worth changing?

Yeah.  Ideally, we wouldn't blow away the MAC address when upgrading
uboot, but I don't know that we can correct that automatically.  It
sounds like the user would need to do some JTAG wiggling to restore the
MAC address after updating.  We should be able to detect a missing MAC
address and generate one for the user on first boot, if nothing else.

If anyone wants to write up those JTAG changes (reading the MAC address
off the bottom of the DreamPlug), I'll add them to Freedom Maker's
README.

Fortunately, this only affects DreamPlugs where the user upgrades the
uboot (doesn't affect the most recent DPs, around fall 2012 or later?).

Nick