[Freedombox-discuss] x86 Boxes and Debian Pure Blends

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Wed May 1 16:36:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 04:21:10PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>  * get the script used to produce those snapshot images and try create
> images yourself, adapting anything you discover being specific to some
> hardware not yours.

This is the option I'd like to look into for now then, I think. My goal would be to
run the same scripts that are used today for the DreamPlug images, but for an x86 box
(with whatever changes I'd need to make to get them to work on an x86 box.)

Am I right in thinking the images that Nick Daly releases are meant to run only on a
DreamPlug (or VM that emulates a DreamPlug)?

I'm looking at the different git repos to see what scripts I might want to look at
first. I see several repos listed here:
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox#Code_and_Projects

Any thoughts on which to clone and start with first, or what approach to take?  I
believe I want something as close as possible to what Nick's publishing, so I could
offer any changes back upstream into the work that's already being done.

My guess is I'd clone Nick's repo, since it's based off Bdale's and has the extra
things he's putting in the weekly images.  That would be this repo:
https://github.com/nickdaly/freedom-maker

Does that sound right?

For now what I'm really after is just understanding what's in the current version
of the FreedomBox, to see what's there and understand how any other work I'm doing
or might do could be merged in with it.

Thanks!