[Freedombox-discuss] Debian Wheezy, and LXC

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri May 10 09:06:26 UTC 2013

Hi Rob,

Quoting Rob van der Hoeven (2013-05-10 10:03:40)
> > > Unfortunately, LXC still seems to have broken templates.
> >
> > [details of breakage snipped]
> >
> > You make it clear that in your opinion LXC is ideal for FreedomBox,
> > but you also make it clear that it is not currently working.  Please
> > then _invite_ others on this list over to that relevant bugreport to
> > work further on solving those details.
> >
> > So please, folks interested in getting LXC into shape, please read
> > http://bugs.debian.org/680469 and consider post updates to
> > 680469 at bugs.debian.org .
> >

> Why do you think this will work?

When did you stop beat your wife?

Please don't inject interpretation into questions like that - it is not
nice: I did not promise solution, only recommended against inflation.

Bugs related to a single package is best discussed in a bugreport
against that package.  Because it is most efficient for people
interested and/or knowledgeable in some package to gather together.

This mailinglist is for discussing FreedomBox.  Makes good sense to
discuss here when a package needs a customization specific for
FreedomBox, but not to discuss details of each and every package used in
FreedomBox.

> Look at the history of this bug: its 10 months old and a fix is
> available! My proposed fix is simple, tested, and was in time for the
> Wheezy release. Still, no action from the maintainer or the release
> team. Now people who try LXC on a Wheezy system are left wondering why
> LXC does not work - what have *they* done wrong? (can't be Debian
> because everyone knows that a Debian release is well tested).

Oh, seems it is not really the bug you want to discuss, but the related
social issue of "package maintainer treats the bug wrongfully!".

Fine to raise such issue here - not to spawn a discussion here
(technical discussion is *still* best done at the bugreport!), but to
get help on how such issues are dealt with in Debian, for those
unfamiliar with it:

General logic is that each person or team each maintaining a package
knows best how to handle that package, which implies having final say in
bugreports.  If dissatisfied with treatment of a bugreport, next step is
the technical committee: http://www.debian.org/devel/tech-ctte

Hope that helps,