[Freedombox-discuss] Dev: New FreedomBox-Setup Dependency: NTP

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Nov 6 15:45:47 UTC 2013

[Nick Daly]
> Hi everybody,
>
> I noticed, this morning, that my laptop's clock has skewed from real
> time by about 5 minutes.  I wondered why and then realized that no
> NTP services were installed.  After quickly putting ntpdate on my
> laptop, I realized that none of the NTP services are dependencies of
> FreedomBox-Setup either.  I fixed that by adding *ntp* as a
> dependency in my FBX-Setup branch.

I am very found of NTP and correct clocks.  And in an earlier version
(a few weeks ago) of freedombox-setup, ntp was part of the
installation set.  But I decided to take it out until it was properly
discussed, as it will create a regular beakon out of any freedombox
machine.  I know some Ubuntu people once tried to use incoming NTP
traffic to estimate the number of Ubuntu clients out there, and the
same could be done with FreedomBox machines.  Luckily they should
would be hard to separate from regular Debian machines, so perhaps it
does not matter?

When booting a Raspberry Pi, the clock is set to 1970, and thus
without NTP the clock is way off.  On such machines, NTP is more
important than those with a working hardware clock.

Perhaps we should at least set the time once, at first boot?
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen