[Freedombox-discuss] File system experience on a Freedombox? (Was: Should we use LXC in Freedombox?)

Serge E. Hallyn serge at hallyn.com
Sat Oct 5 15:53:15 UTC 2013

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (pere at hungry.com):
> [Serge E. Hallyn]
> > Actually it took years, but btrfs-based snapshot lxc clones are
> > working great for me now - have seen no recent stability issues with
> > subvolumes.  (And of course I'll say that lxc is working great for
> > me as well)
>
> How much memory is btrfs using?  Is it working well on x86 machines,
> or does it like zfs work best with 64-bit machines and heaps of
> memory?

Sorry I haven't looked into that.  I will aim to do some tests with a
small qemu VM when I get a chance.

> Perhaps you can share some of your btrfs experience, as we need fo
> figure out what kind of file system setup the freedombox should have.

It's been mostly limited to testing snapshot container clones with
btrfs.  I'm not ready to recommend btrfs for real deployments, only
saying that I've not seen corruption like I used to.

Currently I use lvm snapshotted containers for all my builds and tests.
I'll move to a btrfs based system right now.  That'll get pretty heavy
use, and I'll report if it fails me at all.  (That'll have the added
benefit of allowing snapshots of snapshots which lvm can't do)

-serge