[Freedombox-discuss] Dumb idea: Alternative to Tor that promotes good behavior

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 27 19:24:11 UTC 2013

On 10/27/2013 01:26 PM, Bill Cox wrote:
> I would love feedback on an idea for promoting more internet freedom.
>
> Here's the problem: Tor has little public support, because most Tor
> traffic is wasted on supporting bad behavior.  When I ran a Tor node, it
> became clear that most of my bandwidth was being wasted on video
> downloads.  People want to promote free speech, not child pornography.

The real solution is to improve hidden services so they can be an
alternative
to insecure internet services.  Exit nodes are like off-ramps, and
nobody likes
having one next to their house.  But relay-only nodes are like
by-passes, and
encryption essentially lets relay operators build them without ever
letting any
of the creeps cruise around in their neighborhood.

Of course one could still rail against the possibility that the
encrypted data
might still be "bad data", but at least for me that's a much weaker
argument.
For example, I don't know anyone who refuses to use the tools granted to
them in the justice system because they are so often used to defend
drug dealers, murders, and thieves.  I also don't know anyone who
doesn't believe in maintaining city, state, and interstate
infrastructure, _even_
when just the act of driving carries a rather large risk of death when
compared to other forms of transportation.

-Jonathan