[Freedombox-discuss] Kerberos and remctl instead of exmachina?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Sep 3 09:28:43 UTC 2013

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2013-09-03 09:57:58)
> [Jonas Smedegaard]
> >> I suspect we are better of finding some alternative, preferably
> >> something also used elsewhere. :)
> >
> > Fully acknowledged.
>
> The issue at hand is to find a good alternative.  sudo might do.
> remctl might do.  Even nrpe (nagios remote execution) would work. :)
>
> > Regarding use of remctl for this, that sounds heavyweight to me. Why
> > is password storage needed at all?  If this is about providing
> > trusted access from a web interface to changing config files, then
> > it seems to me with *any* trust-gaining method that the real issue
> > is in limiting how big a door we leave open, and seems to me we
> > don't need Kerberos at all.
>
> I did not say password storage is needed, I just observed that it is
> seem to be done today, and it could be dome in a standard and well
> proven way using kerberos keytab files too.

Let me try rephrase: Why use a mechanism more complex than e.g. sudo to
govern crossing boundaries of access rights?

If Kerberos is used only to issue tickets automatically based on
user-id, then I see no benefit of that mechanism.

If Kerberos is used also for authenticating human users of FreedomBox,
how do you then imagine making that dead user-friendly?

> I just happen to like Kerberos, and believe it is a good thing to have
> around in any computing enviroment, and also know how to set it up
> automatically thanks to our experience in Debian Edu. :)

I like Kerberos.  But it is not on my list of things I want in _every_
computing environment.  Not even the Linux kernel belong everywhere -
but also without splitting hairs, I don't think Kerberos belong in all
Debian systems.  But I might simply miss something obvious here - I am a
newbee in Kerberos.

> > What I am thinking is a CGI interface run as an isolated user (e.g.
> > via uwsgi or apache2-suexec) talking to debconf.  I don't see how
> > Kerberos kan strengthen security - only complicate the setup adding
> > amount of potential attack vectors.
>
> Kerberos would not strengthen security - it is not why I propose it.
> It would increase the usefulness of the freedombox (being an Kerberos
> authentication service) while bringing our selected solutions more in
> line with solutions used elsewhere.

How would it increase usefulness for the target users of FreedomBox?

...or do you imply a wider userbase?

> Anyone know how arkos is doing this?  It seem to have several of the
> same design issues as our plans for the freedombox.

I am curious about that too.