[Freedombox-discuss] debconf is the only way...

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Sep 3 17:41:55 UTC 2013

Quoting Nick Daly (2013-09-03 16:24:38)

Well, "years ago" (august 2010) I wrote this:
> The only proper way for a reliably maintained
> Debian->deployer->sysadmin chain as I see it, is for debconf to be
> improved to handle reliably other package maintainance tasks than
> install.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-August/000074.html

...and (september 2010) this:
> My preaching is to work *with* Debian instead of *on* *top* *of*
> Debian.
>
> And my belif - argued in more detail in other posts of this thread -
> is that the only sane approach is to use debconf, and enhance debconf.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-September/000115.html

...and numerous posts posts to 24 threads in this mailinglist over the
years, preaching debconf as then IMO only sane approach.

> FWIW, I think you're right, which makes me a little bit sad, because
> the FreedomBoxiness of a particular package then becomes yet another
> unfunded mandate on upstream's or the packager's time (it starts to
> sound like SPDX).  That's a hard bargain, socially.  Nonetheless, it
> does seem to validate the approach of experimenting with the system to
> see what configuration options are actually required.  This is why the
> TODO list has all the packaging and configuration steps in the 2.0
> release: so we can poke at the system before asking devs to implement
> features or accept patches.

I am excited that you agree with me (but puzzled what makes you sad).

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that we should play with configurations, to
help decide what we then want to try convince Debian developers to
implement debconf hooks for in their official Debian packages:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-October/000164.html