[Freedombox-discuss] What is Freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Sep 14 21:21:55 UTC 2013

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> I agree with above, but am converned with the high risk of
> misinterpreting the "build the software needed" part:

And I agree with your general message, but would like to comment on some
of the details. :)

> I believe strongly that the FreedomBox should not contain any code
> written specifically for FreedomBox.  FreedomBox should consist only of
> code already in common use among geeks.

Well, some code will have to be written specificly for the FreedomBox,
but we should limit it as much as possible. :)

> As a concrete example, it worries me if a GUI is invented and promoted
> as being the "Front End for Freedom Plug UI".  That might seem
> compelling to deploy on FreedomBox, but wait a minute: when promoted
> so directly at the FreedomBox project, it conversely means it is less
> likely that other related projects, e.g. emdebian router projects or
> Debian-based phone projects or whatever, would consider reusing same
> tool for *their* projects, thereby enhancing the quality assurance
> inherent in Free Software through the logic of "given enough eyeballs,
> all bugs are shallow".

Note, that after I had a look at the code, the plinth system seem to be
quite modular and should not be hard to adjust to work also outside the
Freedombox.  We really should aim to make plinth a generic web
configuration framework and not only care about the Freedombox, for the
reasons you have stated. :)

> We shall eat our own dogfood. We shall only ship to our non-geek
> friends what we use and trust ourselves, and only those parts that are
> boring to us because they just work correctly all the time.

As a guideline, this is a good idea.  But we are also breaking new land
here, so we can not limit ourselves to only the boring parts. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen