[Freedombox-discuss] What is Freedombox?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Sep 15 08:32:46 UTC 2013

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2013-09-15 08:13:56)
> [Jack Wilborn]
> > I understood that the GUI for all of these were to be coded in an
> > HTML, or other portable languages that would be easily ported to
> > other platforms.  Was this an erroneous interpretation?

Possibly the authors of Plinth has applied such constraint for their
project specifically, but FreedomBox has not, TTBOMK.

Writing code that can only work on certain hardware architectures or
even on uniwue pieces of hardware only, would be bad IMO.  But I see no
need for writing in languages that are architecture-independent at its
source level - if e.g. you found some competitor to Plinth written in,
say, witty or tntnet (C++ frameworks), that would be quite interesting
IMO.

> The current web interface (called plinth + exmachina) is written in
> python, and can work on any platform as far as I can tell.  The part
> that interact with the operating system only work on Debian based
> systems, though.

I agree with Petter here (and with his other remarks in that same post).