[Freedombox-discuss] Fossil SCM/VCS as CMS [Was: Re: CMS in freedombox]

ST smntov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 13:51:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 18:03 -0500, Nick Daly wrote:
> ST <smntov at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > if no CMS was integrated yet - I suggest to use Fossil
> > ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_(software) ) instead of Ikiwiki. I
> > took a look on Ikiwiki and realized that Fossil covers almost all
> > Ikiwiki features but offers much more. It is small (only one file), fast
> > (written in C) and is tuned for security.
> >
> > What does the public think?
> >
> > http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/tip/www/index.wiki
>
> The only thing I really don't like about Fossil for projects is that the
> wiki and the bug reports aren't hosted as files within the repository,
> making them impossible to check out without *using* Fossil.  I had a
> not-very-good workaround for this in Publish [0], which just tracks all
> separate artifacts as files (in particular root-level directories).
> Then, it's easy to cross-publish between multiple hosting sites.  It's
> also trivial to offer a read-only view of the entire repository (code +
> data + metadata) and make the whole thing downloadable as an archive.
> It could be a lot more flexible and easier to use (I'll update it to
> host multiple projects some day), but that said, not everybody cares
> about those sorts of things and Fossil's really nice.
>
> Nick
>
> 0: https://gitorious.org/project-publish

I'm not sure about bug reports, but wiki you definitely can host as
files (or within the database - both options are available) - they call
it embedded documentation. This is exactly what I was thinking to use
instead of a dedicated CMS. In ikiwiki you have to have 2 packages -
ikiwiki and git, here only fossil...

ST