[Freedombox-discuss] Privoxy via Tor, and APT via Privoxy?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Apr 16 16:37:13 UTC 2014

[Tim Retout]
> I think this idea is worth trying - even if secure apt prevents
> someone putting fake packages onto your machine, this will stop
> people seeing which software they need to find zero-day
> vulnerabilities in. :)

Yeah. :)

> What's the best apt mirror to use with tor?  Maybe http.debian.net?
> It's probably important to preserve anonymity that everyone uses the
> same mirror.

Either cdn.debian.net or http.debian.net I believe.  I've had some
problems using both from time to time, but I do not believe we have
any better option.

> I'm surprised that apt doesn't support SOCKS proxies directly -
> random people on the internet seem to think that it does, but
> there's no mention in apt's source code.

Yeah.  I asked for SOCKS support today in
the C++ patch needed, I am sure it would be well received.

> s/provixy/privoxy/

Thanks

> Privoxy cannot proxy ftp traffic, according to its FAQ.  You might
> want to add https, but I don't think anyone uses that?

Aha.

On second thought, I believe it is better to put this functionallity
in plinth, behind an option, instead of in freedombox-setup.  The
option should probably be enabled by default.

The options for apt can be to use privoxy, and for privoxy to use tor.
I would prefer to have one option for apt to use tor, but without
SOCKS support, that is not trivial.

An alternative which Nick mentioned on IRC today, is
to not confiture apt and privoxy, but instead change the IP setup on
the machine to send everything via tor.  Perhaps a better option?  But
that package is not in Debian, as far as I know.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen