[Freedombox-discuss] How do we handle package upgrades on the Freedombox?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Apr 16 19:43:48 UTC 2014

Quoting Sunil Mohan (2014-04-16 20:12:33)
> On Tuesday 15 April 2014 03:35 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> [...]
> > When Plinth directly edits configuration files, it is an
> > administrators' tool.
> >
> > Solution is to have Plinth only ever communicate with debconf!
>
> I can see that many uses cases for configuration can be done in this
> manner. However, I could not picture debconf fitting well in other
> cases. How are the following use cases likely to work?

Sorry - I can see how my writing above can be unclear.  Let me try
again:

Solution is to have Plinth only ever change configuration of other
Debian packages with debconf!

Yes, Plinth should also communicate with...

  * the user (via web pages)
  * hardware (via library calls or custom code)
  * system (best via Debian APIs like "service apache2 status")

> I apologize in advance if these are repeated questions as I am unaware
> of the previous discussions on the matter.

Not at all.  Thanks!

> If automatic upgrading of packages over stable releases is our primary
> concern would it not be easier to ship a configuration upgrade tool
> that respects the administrators configuration and interprets it in
> context of newer version of the software? The pagekite author wrote on
> such tool to handle automatic upgrade during major configuration
> change. Using utilities like augeus reduce the effort in writing such
> tools.

Right.

Name is Augeas.  Here's my post about that at the dawn of this list:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-September/000079.html

I suspect nothing has changed in that area since then - or since 2012
where I commented on its actual use in Debian:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2012-February/003399.html

I recommend reading the threads, not only those two emails.

NB!  Beware that there's a difference between what is sensible for an
administrator to do (and therefore for most upstream software authors to
invent of supportive tools) and what is sensible for a package to do.