[Freedombox-discuss] Privoxy via Tor, and APT via Privoxy?

Tim Retout diocles at debian.org
Sat Apr 19 22:12:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-16 at 18:37 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Yeah.  I asked for SOCKS support today in
> the C++ patch needed, I am sure it would be well received.

SOCKS support is fairly difficult.

However, it turns out to be quite easy to add a new apt transport - I
can create a package 'apt-transport-tor' that can handle URLs like
"tor://http.debian.net/debian".  I've got some very very rough but
working code here:

https://github.com/diocles/apt-transport-tor

One advantage of this is that the package can be backported.  A patch to
apt proper will take some time to get into "real" apt, and then Debian
wheezy users can't benefit.

Also, it's probably harder to mess up this way - it's very obvious when
looking at the URLs fly past that they're coming via tor.

--
Tim Retout <diocles at debian.org>