[Freedombox-discuss] Fixing ejabberd in Debian?

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jun 15 18:45:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 09:05:49 +0200
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> Hi.  We in the Freedombox project uses ejabberd as our XMPP server,
> but it is no longer available in Debian Jessie.  This is a huge
> problem for us.  What are your plans to get the RC bugs in ejabberd
> fixed?

Hi!
No, there are no plans to make them fixed because the all-new 14.05
release is pending its entering into experimental (and then unstable
and then testing).  To not repeat myself, my reply to another person's
recent question regarding the same issue is included below.

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 12:44:29 +0000
Peter Viskup <skupko.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Konstantin and Gerfried,
> would like to ask you about the future of ejabberd package in Debian
> repositories.
>
> Last update is from 17 Oct 2013 on the 2.1.11-1 release. I know the
> ProcessOne changed release cycle, versioning and there are two
> editions available. The latest downloadable version of community
> server is 14.05 released in middle of May.
> How those changes will be/are reflected in your releases of Debian
> packages? Is there anything you need help with?

Philipp Huebner (added to Cc) has taken over maintaining ejabberd in
Debian and prepared the 14.04 release.  Since this new series requires
packaging a whole bunch of small packages (new dependencies, Erlang
packages -- both external and from Process One), Phillip did all that
packaging which targets experimental.  Almost everything is in there,
except for one package, erlang-p1-sip, which is still in the NEW queue,
and this blocks uploading of the new ejabberd package itself.

In the meantime, you can build ejabberd yourself from [1]
(the packaging uses git-buildpackage).

I let 2.1.11 be expunged from testing due to its 3 RC bugs since IMO
there was no point in keeping this obsolete version in testing if it has
to be replaced with 14.05 anyway.

1. http://git.deb.at/w/pkg/ejabberd.git/shortlog/refs/heads/experimental