[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox 0.2 almost ready - please test

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Fri Mar 14 04:17:09 UTC 2014

On Friday 14 March 2014 09:04 AM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 09:22:49PM -0500, Nick Daly wrote:
>> "A. F. Cano" <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org> writes:
>>
>>> Tried to build for virtualbox.  It failed. The loop device the
>>> script assumes doesn't exist on Debian Jessie.
>>>
>>> ERROR: command failed: ['mkfs', '-t', 'ext4',
>>> '/dev/mapper/loop0p1']
>
> After digging a little more, I found that the "EEEK! Something bad
> happened..." message comes from vmdebootstrap.  In another message
> Sunil Mohan mentions a bug report about running kpartx in sync
> mode, so it looks like the ultimate solution to this problem is
> fixing vmdebootstrap, or finding a way to pass this parameter to it
> so that kpartx runs in sync mode.

The relevant change has been made upstream in vmdebootstrap. Bdale
reported in the bug report[1] that this fix has indeed solved the
problem. Please try this fix. You can either install the vmdebootstrap
from latest git or simply modify the kpartx line in
/usr/sbin/vmdebootstrap to contain "kpartx -avs" instead of "kpartx
- -av". See the patch in the bug report.

[...]
> Cleaning up VBoxManage convertdd MAGE.img MAGE.vdi Converting from
> raw image file="MAGE.img" to file="MAGE.vdi"... VBoxManage: error:
> Cannot open file "MAGE.img": VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND make: ***
> [virtualbox-image] Error 1 make: Leaving directory
> `/home/video/fbx/freedom-maker'
>
> It's late so I'll have to deal with this tomorrow.  In the
> meantime, any suggestions?

This is almost the last step that converts the built image into a
virtualbox image. It looks like the $NAME variable in the Makefile got
mangled somehow. Could it be the environment in your shell? A fresh
shell might help.

Links:

1) https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=741407

- --