[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox 0.2 almost ready - please test

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:25:59 UTC 2014

"A. F. Cano" <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org> writes:

> I'm now running the newly-built image in virtualbox.  I can log in as
> root and fbx, but I gather from the readme file that the first thing
> to do is plug in ethernet cables on both interfaces.

The README assumes you're using a physical DreamPlug.  The software
tries to use two Ethernet ports (eth0 and eth1), but VirtualBox only
provides one, AFAIK.  I don't know how to add additional interfaces to a
VirtualBox image, though it's probably possible (and would be nice).

> Is it even possible to do any testing on a virtualbox in a machine
> that has one network interface?

Sure!  You'll just use it as a end-device instead of a proxy.

> I would have thought I could somehow connect to a fake, or create, a
> sofware network interface.  Is there a way to do this?  If it were
> possible to have a fake ethernet connection as the "inside" that the
> browser and other software could connect to, (maybe the loopback
> interface?) the firewall machine type of setup of a physical dreamplug
> could be simulated, but how can I tell virtualbox to use that as the
> inside connection?  Or do I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how
> the freedombox is intended to be used?

It works as you'd expect, as long as the hardware supports multiple
Ethernet interfaces.  However, VirtualBox only supplies one by default,
so you're stuck with an end-device, until we figure out how to get VBox
to provide more interfaces.

Nick