[Freedombox-discuss] Video chat on the Freedombox using WebRTC? (Was: public + private http services)

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Mar 24 08:35:02 UTC 2014

[Timur Mehrvarz 2013-07-15]
> The context of my question is this p2p webrtc chat application:
> https://github.com/mehrvarz/rtcchat /
> http://mehrvarz.github.io/rtcchat This service merely helps two
> browser instances connect with each other (and then continue in pure
> p2p fashion). You can think of this service as something being hosted
> by, say, riseup.net. You can also think of it as something, that is
> running on your home server. In the latter case you could add
> features, that wouldn't make much sense in the former
> configuration. For instance you could make the server ring as if it
> was a telephone. You could then grab your tablet and "answer the
> call". You could also add internal-only services. Say, a service that
> would show you all waiting clients, etc.

We currently have XMPP chat available on the freedombox, using either
XMPP directly or the jwchat client.  Two users registered in Plinth (or
any user if Plinth is used to enable online registration) can talk to
each other via the freedombox.  But what would it take to get video chat
working too, using WebRTC to allow anny WebRTC enabled browser to work
out of the box as a client?  Can we reuse XMPP, or do we need to provide
SIP services too?

The Debconf talk about WebRTC available from
<URL:http://penta.debconf.org/dc13_schedule/events/1024.en.html> make it
seem simple, but what would we have to add / implement / configure to
get it working out of the box on the freedombox?  Anyone willing to work
on getting this up and running on the freedombox?  What is missing in
Debian to get it working out of the box?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen