[Freedombox-discuss] Dev: Cross Cutting Concerns in Plinth?

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Wed Mar 26 04:12:30 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 26 March 2014 12:56 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Nick Daly]
>> Hi folks, Plinth doesn't currently handle cross-cutting concerns
>> very well.  For example, if I change the hostname, I need to
>> individually notify every service that depends on that hostname.  If
>> Plinth had better support for callbacks or advice, each service
>> could just register a function to be performed when the hostname
>> changed.
>
> This sound like the thing that is some times called an event bus.  And
> dbus is one such event bus already available in Debian.  Perhaps we
> should use it for this?

DBus is more suited for Inter Process Communication. Our purpose,
however, is to communicate within the same process of Plinth. This ends
being is simple library to register and execute callbacks with variable
passing instead of the complex process of marshalling involved in IPC
like Dbus. Communicating with DBus is not usually a one liner.

--
Sunil