[Freedombox-discuss] Switch to btrfs on the Freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Nov 8 19:43:20 UTC 2014

[Sunil Mohan Adapa]
> It would be nice to switch to Btrfs.

Consider it done, at least as a test.  I've pushed changes to
freedom-maker on alioth to create images using btrfs as the default
file system.  Please test it and let me know what you think.

I switched to grub as a boot loader in the process, thus making sure
kernel upgrades to not leave the system in a non-bootable state.

I went with a btrfs layout of /btrfs having the root file system and
the '@' subvolume being mounted as root.  This will allow us to
snapshot @ and switch between root file system versions if we want to.
It is inspired by the btrfs layout proposed on some Ubuntu page I read
a long time ago.

> We could easily cook a preliminary Plinth UI module to take
> snapshots and switch between snapshots.  There is also a proper
> package manager coming to Plinth (for the sake of installing likes
> of ownCloud).  We could the hook up the package manager to take a
> snapshot before any package installation or system upgrade like is
> suggested.

Yeah. :)

--
Happy hacking