[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox - "Danube Edition"

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Wed Oct 22 00:04:37 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 01:49 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 22 October 2014 01:29, Markus Sabadello <markus at projectdanube.org
> <mailto:markus at projectdanube.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hello list,
>
>     So here's the story.. I have an opportunity to build 100
>     CubieTrucks with a nice box and a SATA drive and I would like to
>     call them FreedomBox - "Danube Edition", and sell them just at the
>     price it costs to build them. I can present this at the upcoming
>     Elevate festival in Graz and the Internet Identity Workshop in
>     Mountain View, I have already demo'd FreedomBox at both events
>     (and others) several times in the past.
>
>     I'd be interested in feedback on any or all of the following..
>
>     1. Is this a good idea? I made this webpage:
>     http://projectdanube.org/freedombox/
>     So the message would basically be "you can get one, you can try to
>     use it and learn about it, but don't rely on it".
>     I noticed you just discussed how FreedomBox was not ready for the
>     next Debian stable, but I think some people who don't know the
>     command line would still want one.
>
>     2. I would like to help add a few things to the box. Most
>     importantly, support for the Unhosted project, we already dreamed
>     about this 2 years ago
>     <http://blog.projectdanube.org/2012/06/freedombox-unhosted-pagekite-for-access-innovation-prize-2012/>,
>     and it works really well. Another idea would be something that
>     comes out of the current W3C Social Web work, as well as the
>     IndieWeb community.
>

> Not sure how much is going to come out of the W3C work, except some
> standardization of AS 2.0, opensocial etc.
>
> You may want to take a look at GOLD.  It's a light weight remote
> storage file server with access controlled file access.  It runs on a
> raspberry pi so should easily do well on a plug computer.  It's come
> out of tim berners-lee's lab at MIT, so as you can expect it's 100%
> standards compliant esp. with linked data platform.  The focus is on
> client side (what you call unhosted) apps.
>
> https://github.com/linkeddata/gold
>
> I've been using it lately and the performance is very good, as it's
> written in go.  I think it makes an ideal match to freedbombox.
Yes thanks. When I think of FreedomBox+LDP, I always remember the WebBox
<http://people.csail.mit.edu/emax/papers/www2012-webbox.pdf> paper. I
was thinking rww.io would be a good fit, but maybe this is better.

When you say GOLD is a "remote storage file server", do you mean it
actually speaks Michiel's remoteStorage protocol, or do you just mean
client-side/unhosted in general in this case?
> PS I met Michiel (from unhosted) a couple of months ago, I think he's
> working on a new hosting service which may fit to your ideas, tho you
> probably know this already
I know a little bit about it, it's very exciting.