[Freedombox-discuss] Quick report from GETD

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Sat Apr 4 18:17:46 UTC 2015

Hello,

We concluded the GETD event this week:
http://get-d.net/get-decentralized-san-francisco-bay-area-spring-2015/

I brought several of my CubieTruck-based FreedomBox prototypes.
It turned out to be not so much a hackathon with a lot of developers,
rather it was a smaller gathering with presentations and workshops and
people from various backgrounds.
So unfortunately we didn't really get to work on any of the TODO items
that Sunil has put together.

German startup Jolocom <http://jolocom.com/>, who convened the event,
showed a demo of a mobile app where you can navigate a distributed
semantic data graph (using RDF / Linked Data technology).
So we installed a Linked Data server on the FreedomBoxes, and that was
the main focus of the event.
We also had participation from RiotOS <http://riot-os.org/>, with some
discussion how data from the Internet of Things could be controlled via
a FreedomBox.

I also had the pleasure to meet with:
- Greg who had introduced us to DNSChain
<https://github.com/okTurtles/dnschain> on one of the recent progress calls.
- Ranga Krishnan of the EFF, who pointed me to LEAP <https://leap.se/>
as a candidate technology for secure messaging on FreedomBox
- John Light who is working on a Bitcoin box
<https://bitseed.org/product/blockchain-node-developer-version/>
So once again it seems clear how a FreedomBox can potentially be used
for so many different purposes.
Therefore I think the extensibility of Plinth and package management (as
we discussed on the last call) is becoming more and more important.

On Wednesday evening, we were invited to a party at the Internet Archive.
I had the opportunity to give a talk about FreedomBox, see here for the
recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YgOYjOGZuQ

<https://bitseed.org/product/blockchain-node-developer-version/>Next
week I will be at the Internet Identity Workshop:
http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/

Markus