[Freedombox-discuss] Testing freedombox on A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2-4GB

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Tue Dec 1 04:19:44 UTC 2015

On 12/01/2015 03:58 AM, Jan Costermans wrote:
[...]
> I would like to use the olinuxino as an access point, connecting the
> ethernet port to my rmodem/outer and using the MOD-WIFI-R5370-ANT
> <https://www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/MOD-WIFI-R5370-ANT/> to
> connect other laptops and devices.

We recommend a USB Wi-Fi adapter which does not require non-free
firmware[1].

However, if you have already bought it, you will need to setup non-free
repository and install the 'firmware-ralink' (assuming that your device
is Ralink RT5370).  FreedomBox setup script will also not automatically
turn into a access point, you will need to do that manually from the
Plinth interface.

> I have tried the following approach:
>
> 1. install the default debian image from olimex (A20-OLinuXino-LIME2
> Debian Jessie with kernel 3.4.103+ release 3)
>
> 2. Because freedombox-setup is not in jessie I added the unstable repos
> based on this post
> (http://serverfault.com/questions/22414/how-can-i-run-debian-stable-but-install-some-packages-from-testing)
>
> 3. I installed the freedombox-setup package :
> *    sudo apt-get update*
>     *sudo apt-get install freedombox-setup*
>
> 4. Next I tried running the freedombox-setup
>     *sudo /usr/lib/freedombox/setup | tee freedombox-setup.log*
>
> 5. and rebooting
> *    sudo reboot
>
> *
> I didn't get any errors during installation, but the webserver (plinth)
> isn't started. I also noticed that no 'fbx' user was created.

This is probably another firewall related issue.  There is another
thread related where we discussed a solution[2]

Not creating 'fbx' user is as intended since you already have login access.

> Is there another way to install freedombox? Or -if not- where do I start
> to get everything working?

The recently built Lime2 images are much more hassle free and are known
to work.

1) https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware/USBWiFi

2)
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2015-November/007033.html