[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi 2

Sam Hartman hartmans at debian.org
Wed Feb 4 19:05:14 UTC 2015

>>>>> "lee" == lee jones <slothpuck at gmail.com> writes:

    lee>  I think it might be a bad idea for the RPI2 to be used as a
    lee> "freedombox". Firstly microsoft is apparently RPI's partner in
    lee> any case and that could mean digital locks are forthcoming at
    lee> any time.  There are other alternatives out there besides. One
    lee> to avoid.

So, the rpi and rpi2 have some really major advantages.

They are highly available.  As an example last time I looked I found rpi
sellers on Amazon prime.  Meaning that I can get a ready-to-use rpi
dropped off at my office tomorrow.  Presumably that sort of availability
is likely to exist for rpi2.

That is a huge usability advantage.
Actually being able to get the equipment without giving a new merchant
my credit card information and with one-day shipping is a major win as
an end user.

If the rpi2 is actually comperably free to other things we're looking
at, then let's not go out of our way to make freedom box hard.

If someone locks down the platform in the future, then we can
reconsider.  Let's not borrow trouble from the future and harm our users
today.